Houston Termite Control
Keeping Homes in Houston County Termite Free
Unless you live in the middle of the Alaskan wilderness, where snow and ice cover the ground for well over half of the average year, there’s a good chance that there are termites underfoot. Termites are one of the most plentiful insects on the planet, and every year they infest a whopping five million homes.
Termite Damages in Houston
Termites are unwelcome pests in many homes and businesses, as they can cause thousands of dollars worth of damage.
Do Termites Bite?
While they do have small mandibles, termites mainly attack wood, not humans. That doesn't take away from the other problems these nasty pests cause though. Termites feed on cellulose found in wood and paper products, quickly destroying anything made of these materials in their path. While it's true that they can be beneficial to nature in breaking down dead and decaying matter, any home structure built with wood is susceptible to termite infestation and all the costly repairs that come with it. The best way to prevent a termite infestation is to keep an eye out for any signs of tiny holes or sawdust near wooden surfaces,
Here in the Houston area, thousands or tens of thousands of homes are damaged by these tiny insects every year, to the tune of millions of dollars worth of damage.
Think you’re going to get help fixing it from your insurance company? Think again: insurance companies view termite damage as preventable, and they don’t cover it. You need a comprehensive inspection, treatment, and termite control in Houston, TX, and the surrounding areas.
Here at Preventive Pest Control, termites are our specialty. Our technicians have been highly-trained in termite behavior, signs of termite damage, and tools and techniques to stop and remove termite problems for good. We don’t just locate termites; we find where they’ve found their way into your home, how much damage they have caused, and how you can stop them from continuing to wreak havoc on your home’s structure.
- We use the latest methods, including the Sentricon® termite system—one of the most effective termite prevention systems available today. We offer termite control in Houston for residential and commercial structures, meaning you can give us a call for any termite problems you might have!
Are you looking to treat your home for termites? Call Preventive Pest Control today at (713) 955-7405 or contact us online. We offer comprehensive inspection, treatment, prevention & more!
How to Know if You Have a Termite Problem
If you have a termite problem in Houston, you need to reach out and contact a professional right away. A single termite may not be able to do all that much, but the problem is termites are never alone—they’re usually backed up by thousands or even millions of others in a single colony.
A termite of that size could cause thousands and thousands of dollars of damage to your home in as little as a few months, and you may never even have been aware they were there. You can’t afford to take that risk; check out some of the signs of termites below and call right away if you find any of them.
Below are signs you have a termite problem and should request inspection and treatment.
- Termite droppings
- Papery or hollow-sounding timber
- Visible tunnels in visible wood
- Tight-fitting doors or hard-to-open windows
- White ants walking through your home (they aren’t ants, they’re termites)
- A very soft tapping sound inside your walls (this is the sound of termite soldiers communicating)
- Flying termites (swarmers, a type of termite intended to spread and form new colonies)
How To Get Rid of Termites?
One of the best ways to get rid of termites is having regular termite control maintenance services done in your home. Exposure to sunlight has also shown to be an effective way in getting rid of termites. There are several steps homeowners can do to prevent them from entering the home. Let's take a look at a couple now.
How To Prevent The Need For Termite Control
- Avoid wood-to-soil contact - The best way to avoid termites altogether is to ensure that all wooden floorboards are elevated off of the ground during the construction of your home. Keep firewood and anything else that's wooden off the ground.
- Dehumidify and questionable areas - If you have any crawl spaces or wooden areas underneath your deck, you should consider installing a dehumidifier to avoid calling in our Houston termite control experts.
- Avoid using mulch if possible - Since mulch does an excellent job retaining moisture, termites love it even if they don't necessarily feast on it. Try using gravel or rocks as a substitute and if you must use mulch, make sure it's not touching your home.
- Act quickly on slab leaks or any moisture around your foundation- Not only can slab leaks throw off the entire foundation of your home, but they can provide termites with the moisture level they need to thrive.
How the Sentricon Termite System Works
The Sentricon® termite system uses the instincts of termites against them. Unlike liquid protection systems that are extremely expensive and tedious to install (not to mention pretty short-lived), the Sentricon system provides long-lasting termite protection by actively eliminating colonies from the inside out. The Sentricon system consists of several strategically-placed stakes packed with termite bait that has been scientifically proven to be more attractive than actual wood.
The termite workers who collect this bait, thinking it’s a great meal, don’t know that they have just poisoned themselves and their entire colony with it. The bait has an undetectable termite poison passed from worker to worker as they continue to forage and search for more food. Eventually, the workers die, but not before giving the bait to several others. Eventually, the workers all die out, and a colony’s food source fails.
Once the food source dies out, so does the colony. However, the process is also expedited by the workers who bring the bait back to the territory—the poison in the bait passes from termite to termite like wildfire, quickly eliminating thousands and thousands of these bugs underground. As a result, they never reach your home, and you’re left safe and protected.
Protect Your Home Today
When your home is your most important investment, the last thing you want to leave its protection to is guesswork. Nearly two decades and thousands of homes serviced later. We remain one of the most renowned and reliable names for termite control in Houston., TX Customers know they can come to us when they demand results. We’ll ensure we get the job done right, so your peace of mind is entirely uncompromised.
Contact Preventive Pest Control today for fast and effective termite control services in Houston!
More Information on Termites:
We Care About Your Experience,
and It Shows!
I knew I had made the right choice- Myranda G.
They give feedback and what solution would be for your home. Totally recommend- Surgical Tech
Thanks for helping our family keep the raccoons from causing anymore destruction.- H&P
Most amazing company in the world!- Anastasia S.
I highly recommend them!- Angela D.